Sweet Home Santa Barbara

Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Anger, is that you?

A few weeks ago, some girlfriends and I started a study called Stuck


The 8 week long study is all about addressing the areas in our lives where we get stuck, but often continue on as if nothing is wrong. It's like something inside of us is convinced that we are the only one that could possibly be struggling, and so we neglect to address the issues that often have the firmest grip on us. 

This week's topic was anger. 

I did my best to make angry faces to accompany this post. You're welcome. 


I've been thinking a lot about anger lately. I've been paying more attention to this emotion when I see it in myself, and when I see it in others. I'm starting to notice a trend. I would dare to say that
anger seldom travels alone. 

Anger is often accompanied with pain, heartache, insecurity, and/or fear. I would even dare to say that these other emotions are typically paving the way for anger, they can be the seed from which anger grows. 

Realizing this has helped me to see anger in an entirely different light. When I am feeling angry, I ask myself why. Where is this emotion coming from? Often it's not even anger that I'm feeling, but rather hurt. And once I understand this, I can rationally see that lashing out or building bitterness is not going to do anything to help that pain. If anything, anger or bitterness will cause the pain to grow. 

And once I've figured out exactly what I'm feeling, I can take the time to analyze if this is even a rational feeling to begin with. Perhaps I'm feeling hurt by a friend's actions, or lack of actions. Maybe I am feeling insecure because I'm fearful that I care more for a person than they care about me. 

This is where God stares me straight in the face and reminds me of the fact that my identity lies in Him. The fact of the matter is that I am probably more cared about and loved than I will ever know, but when I am looking to others for worth or value, it will never feel like enough. 

As I let this truth wash over me, I can see myself uprooting the anger and bitterness in my life. Because it was never anger or bitterness to begin with, not really anyway. It all came from the deep seed of insecurity, and simply manifested itself into an entirely different monster all together. 

In Stuck, Jennie reminds us that Jesus Christ was misrepresented, mocked, betrayed, beaten and murdered unjustly while on this planet, and yet He rarely displayed anger. 

I really can't wait to meet this incredible Savior of ours one day. 

***

Oh, and PS: thanks for your answers yesterday! They really were so fun to read, you guys are awesome. Love you all!


Happy Humpday!

10 comments:

The Pink Growl said...

I think I need to read this Stuck study. Have you liked it?

Kerrie Williams said...

you should work on those angry faces. Or.. maybe not. Because you still looked like you could bust out laughing at any moment, and thats way better than being angry ;)

~Anchored In Christ~ said...

Anger is a bad thing to me. I dont like it. puts me in a funk. and with prayer and scripture and Casting Crowns I can usually come out of it.

http://owlalwaysbeme.wordpress.com/

Shannon Q. said...

That book sounds great...and I think you're right on with anger typically forming out of a place of hurt...I've been working to realize this not only within myself but with processing anger in other people. You're awesome girlie...you're really growing right now.

Anonymous said...

I really want to get this. I saw it in one of your IG posts I think and am super interested -- is it just a book? I saw it on Amazon but wanted to make sure I was getting the right thing!

Let me know :)

Kiki said...

I can so relate to this--and with sin in general. But like you said, it's when we take a step back and think through our emotions then can we truly remember who we are and who we are in Christ. Great post, Amy! :)

Susannah said...

That book sounds wonderful! I agree with you that anger is never alone. I've definitely had to weed out the root cause of my anger many times, in order for real healing to happen.

Heather Leigh_A beautiful ministry said...

That book sounds like a good read! =D

Unknown said...

Wowsa. NEEDED this. Anger is my BIGGEST struggle and I'm gonna definitely start asking myself why. It's so tough though, I feel like the anger switch gets turned on SO FAST that I don't even notice when it happens.

Janna Renee said...

Wow I kinda needed this post. I am going through some work stuff and I need to keep my feelings in check, because I can feel them leading to anger. Thanks girl!