Sweet Home Santa Barbara

Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Happy Birthday Madeleine!


It's one of my best friend's birthdays today. 

Madeleine and I always laugh about how we met. Around this time last year, I became friends with a group of guys at work. It was just before my birthday, and we kiind of went from "oh hey I just met you" to "oh hey let's hang out all the time."

Sometimes it just happens like that, right? So Madeleine and her boyfriend were on a 2 week long trip to Oregon (funny story about that, for multiple months I had it in my head they were in Europe.. not Oregon. Whoops.) and when she got back, all she heard was "Amy this" and "Amy that."

And while she was gone, all I heard was "Madeleine this" and "Madeleine that."

Being the girl that I am, I looked up this Madeleine chick on our work website, and saw how drop dead gorgeous she is. (I mean, just take a look at the photos above). 

I immediately got intimated. Immediately assumed she wouldn't like me. Immediately assumed that everyone would like her more than me. 

Based on one look at one picture. 

Goodness gracious, do I have issues or what? 

Luckily for me (and for our friendship), it turns out Madeleine gets my issues. Because the same thing happened to her. 

And fortunately for both of us, it took about 5 minutes and one happy hour before we got over ourselves and realized that instead of being intimidated by one another, we were actually going to become amazing friends. 

And it's been love at first happy hour ever since. 

Lesson learned: don't make assumptions. Don't judge on looks. And have a little more confidence in yourself, and in others. 

Madeleine, happy birthday to you! I am so blessed to have you in my life, and I can't wait to celebrate many, many more birthdays together!

(How's that for a love letter?)

12 comments:

. said...

That is so sweet of you, my friend! Happy Birthday to your friend.M ay all her dreams come true.

Alyssa said...

This is so great!! Happiest Birthday to her :)

Jennifer said...

omg I'm gonna cry!
That is awesome! and btw, I secretly think both of you will stop talking to me once you realize you are both way out of my league! :) We all have issues.

Amy said...

@Jennifer aww Jen I love you!! We seriously all do have issues. And for the record, I'd say we're all in the same league so you're stuck with us for the long haul :)

Leah said...

super sweet! happy birthday to your friend, hope you all have tons of fun celebrating!

Rach said...

You are both gorgeous! Happy birthday to her!

Classy in The Classroom said...

Aww you both look so pretty! Happy Birthday to Madeleine!

Julie said...

You two are both gorgeous! Hope you spent a sweet birthday with her! :)

Julie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Abigail Jasmine said...

Aw how fun!!!

Jamie said...

Happy birthday to your bestie!

Olivia said...

Friend making comes so easily to you it seems, I wish it were for me! Great friends are hard to come by, happy for you for this sweet friendship!