Sweet Home Santa Barbara

Thursday, March 22, 2012

What We Had For Dinner

I'm so excited to share this recipe, it was definitely a favorite in my book. Have you ever heard of cabbage rolls? I hadn't until I had this Lean Cuisine:



Well, when I saw this recipe, I knew I had to make it. Finally did this week, and I will definitely be making it again!

And again, and again and again. 

Without further adieu:

Inside-Out Cabbage Rolls


Ingredients:

1 pound lean ground beef (I used 96% lean)
1 large onion, chopped
1 small head cabbage, chopped
1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies
1 cup reduced-sodium beef broth
1 can (8 ounces) pizza sauce
1 cup cooked brown rice
1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese

Directions:

1. In a Dutch oven, cook the beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. 

2. Stir in the cabbage, tomatoes, broth and pizza sauce. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until cabbage is tender, stirring occasionally. 

3. Stir in rice; heat through. Remove from the heat. Sprinkle with cheese; cover and let stand until cheese is melted. 


Per Serving (1 1/3 cups, recipe yields 6 servings):

244 Calories
8g Fat
45mg Cholesterol
502mg Sodium
23g Carbohydrate
5g Fiber
21g Protein

I added some Tapatio hot sauce (we're a big fan of that in this house) to make it even spicier, and it was good. I'm going to a Potluck Housewarming party on Saturday, and this is definitely the dish that I'll be bringing. 

Give this recipe a try, you won't regret it!

1 comment:

Daisy said...

Ok I have to ask, what is a Dutch oven??
Recipe sounds good, I remember my gran making something very similar when I was little.