Sweet Home Santa Barbara

Thursday, March 8, 2012

What We Had For Dinner

This week, I tried out the Betty Crocker cookbook that I got from the wonderful Missy. Let me tell you, it did not disappoint. Quinoa is a new favorite grain in our house, and lets us make delicious pasta-like recipes without all the calories. Win!


Here's the delicious quinoa recipe of this week:


Creamy Quinoa Primavera


Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups uncooked white quinoa
3 cups vegetable broth
3 oz cream cheese
1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
2 teaspoons butter
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
5 cups thinly sliced or bite-size pieces assorted uncooked vegetables
2 tablespoons grated Romano cheese

Directions:

1. In 2-quart saucepan, heat quinoa and broth to boiling; reduce heat. Cover; simmer 15 to 20 minutes or until all broth is absorbed. Stir in cream cheese and basil.

2. In 10-inch nonstick skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat. Cook garlic in butter about 30 seconds, stirring frequently, until golden. Stir in vegetables.

I used this pre-chopped veggie mix from Trader Joes

3. Cook 2 to 4 minutes, stirring frequently, until vegetables are crisp-tender. 


4. Add quinoa mixture; toss. Sprinkle with Romano cheese.


And voila! You're done. And guaranteed to impress with this delicious meal!


I adapted from this recipe, which had the following nutrition facts:

Per Serving (recipe makes 6):

280 Calories
10g Fat
20mg Cholesterol
630mg Sodium
36g Carbohydrate
12g Protein

I definitely recommend this! I'll be making it again for a work potluck next week, and if I'm bringing it for 20+ of the best cooks I know, you can rest assured that it's a great recipe. 

Happy Almost Friday!

2 comments:

Megan said...

Oh wow, this looks delicious!! I have never tried quinoa, but I need to!!

Daisy said...

You know I've never tried quinoa but have heard a lot about it. This recipe looks delicious.
Might just get adventurous in my kitchen and try this out.