Sweet Home Santa Barbara

Thursday, January 5, 2012

What We Had For Dinner

Remember in this post how I mentioned our roommate dinners? Every week we take turns making dinner on certain nights, and these are seriously some of the best homemade meals I've ever had. In an effort to post more recipes on this little bloggy of mine, I'm gonna start a weekly "What We Had For Dinner" post. I know it's hard, but try to contain your excitement. 


What was on the menu tonight? Some chicken piccata with sauteed veggies. If you haven't already checked out the Eat Yourself Skinny blog, do yourself a favor and head over there asap. Kelly posts the best healthy recipes that are seriously delicious. I used her chicken piccata recipe, and it was ah.may.zing. I had never cooked chicken before (amature hour over here) so if I can follow this recipe, anyone can!


Chicken Piccata

Ingredients

1/4 cup + 1 tsp. all-purpose flour
8 (3oz) thin boneless, skinless chicken cutlets
1/8 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
2 tbsp canola oil
2 tbsp capers, rinsed
2 medium garlic cloves, minced
1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
1/2 cup dry white wine
4 (2-inch) strips lemon zest
4 tsp. fresh lemon juice
1 tbsp unsalted butter, chilled

Directions

1. Spread 1/4 cup of flour in a shallow dish. Rinse chicken cutlets and dry with paper towels and season with salt and pepper. Dredge one side of each cutlet in the flour, shaking off the excess. 

2. Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a large skillet over medium-heat high until simmering. Lay 4 cutlets, floured side down, in the skillet and cook for about 3 minutes on the first side or until golden brown.

**I only cooked 2 thin sliced chicken breasts since I was only cooking for Kristi and I. I basically cut the recipe in half. Well, except for the capers and garlic cause you can never have enough flavor.**


3. Flip the cutlets over and continue to cook until the meat is no longer pink, about 1 minute. Transfer the cutlets to a plate and tent loosely with foil. Repeat with the remaining oil and cutlets.

4. Add the capers and garlic to the oil left in the skillet, return to medium heat and cook for about 30 seconds, until fragrant. Stir in the remaining 1 tsp. flour until incorporated. Whisk in the broth, wine and lemon zest strips **I just used a bit of shaved lemon zest**, scraping any browned bits for additional flavor. Bring to a simmer and cook until thickened slightly and reduced to about a 1/2 cup, about 10 to 15 minutes. 

5. Return the cutlets, along with any accumulated chicken juices into the simmering sauce. Continue to simmer until heated through, about 30 seconds. 


6. Transfer the chicken to a plate. Off the heat, remove the lemon zest **I kept mine in since it was just shavings** and whisk in the lemon juice and butter. Spoon the sauce over the chicken, serve and enjoy!

**If you want a printable version of this recipe, go visit Kelly at Eat Yourself Skinny!**

I quickly sauteed some zucchini and onions for a side:


And voila! The final product:


This meal was seriously delicious. I highly recommend it! And for dessert, we baked some chocolate chip pumpkin muffins from a pumpkin bread kit that Mom gave me for Christmas.





The muffins were a success, and hopefully my coworkers will enjoy them tomorrow morning! It's my turn to bring stuff for Donut Friday, and you better believe I'm going all out with muffins, donuts AND bagels. What can I say, I don't mess around when it comes to Donut Friday.

Happy Almost Friday, everyone!

No comments: