Sweet Home Santa Barbara

Monday, January 16, 2012

Healthy Snacks - Fit Club Update

Just got back from San Francisco a few hours ago, and I can't wait to recap the weekend later this week! But it's Monday, and that means it's time for another Fit Club update. First, the gym schedule: 


I made it to the gym 4 times this week: 

Monday: Took the night off for some quality roommate time
Tuesday: Lower Body Blast class (1hr)
Wednesday: TurboKick class (1hr)
Thursday: 35 minutes on the treadmill (3.15 miles)
Friday: Spin class (30 min) and Core Strengthening class (30 min)
Saturday/Sunday: Does walking around San Francisco count?

I have honestly really enjoyed working out more, so keeping up with my 3 - 4 nights at the gym resolution hasn't been too difficult. The 80/20 rule, well that has been more difficult. I'm realizing how often I let myself go for the craving, versus using some self discipline to choose a healthier option. I definitely don't want to completely stop myself from letting loose every now and then, but I do want to continue trying to make healthier choices more regularly. So on that note, I'm going to share some healthy snacks that have been working for me, and a few new ones that I'll be trying this week. 


Yoplait Light yogurts have become a big part of my diet lately. They are really good, and only 100 calories! Just enough to fill you up, and taste great too. I've been eating them for breakfast a lot, and just last week started having them as dessert if I'm craving something sweet after dinner. 


Dried apricots and 100 cal packs of Natural Almonds have become the perfect snacks to get me through my work day. I sometimes get hungry for a morning or afternoon snack, and my coworkers usually have candy or trail mix (the kind with m&ms, my favorite) sitting on their desks. These used to always get me (because I have zero self control), so now I try reaching for the apricots and almonds that I have on my desk instead. 


I just bought some carrots and hummus at the store to have as another snack option. I'm going to pre-portion my hummus (because I seriously could eat the whole thing) and try bringing this to work this week for more healthy choices. 


I also bought apples and peanut butter to bring as well. I'll be pre-portioning my peanut butter (insert what I wrote about hummus here) and trying this as a new snack too. I love apples and peanut butter, so should be a match made in heaven. 

I'll let you know how the healthy snacks go next Monday!

5 comments:

Nicole said...

Way to go on the workouts! I am aiming to do better in this department this week. I guess I will have to try the hummus, seems like I'm the only one that hasn't. Good luck this week :-)

Anonymous said...

Those are awesome snack ideas! I love snacking on almonds. Although, my husband got started on the all natural ones, so I miss the salt. (I'm sure unsalted are probably better for me though anyways.) And as for the walking...I've been to San Fran, and I rememember the hills. So it MOST definitely counts! :-)

Unknown said...

Great snack ideas! Where do you get your peanut butter from? I'm looking for something a bit more healthier. Thanks so much for linking up to the challenge. Can't wait to read more about your journey towards a more fit and healthier life!

Amy said...

I got the peanut butter from just a regular grocery store, Vons. My roommate always gets it and it tastes really good for an all natural brand! I definitely recommend it!

Erin said...

Everytime I eat apples with peanut butter at work, my co-workers FREAK out! They think it's the weirdest thing ever- maybe Australians never ate that as kids?! But I love it and have it every week, at least!

Also...walking in San Fran is totally a workout, with all those hills!

Good work this week :)