Sweet Home Santa Barbara

Friday, December 9, 2011

Friday Facts

So, in an attempt to really join the blog world, I'm starting a weekly post. I'm linking up to one of my favorite blogs and sharing 10 facts every Friday (the best day of my week!). Here goes nothing, my first "Friday Facts."

1. At the end of this month, I will officially be 22 1/2. That means half way to 23. And for some reason, that sounds really old to me. Which doesn't make any sense because almost all of my friends are between 23 and 26 now, and it doesn't seem old when I think about all of their ages. But when I think about me being 23? Well, that's just weird. Good thing I only sometimes act my age.

2. Why not throw a recipe in here? I want to start posting these more, so here's an awesome recipe from my amazing Cooking Light cook book. I'm all about cooking these days, even though I've still got a lot to learn. (I may or may not have asked what a broiler was this week. No big deal.) Anyway, here's the recipe:


Mediterranean - Style Frittata


Ingredients:
2 teaspoons olive oil
3/4 cup packed baby spinach
1/2 cup green olives
4 large egg whites
6 large eggs
1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese w/ Mediterranean herbs
2 teaspoons salt-free Greek seasoning (such as Cavender's)
1/4 teaspoon salt

Directions:
1. Preheat Broiler.
2. Heat oil in a 10-inch ovenproof skillet over medium heat. While oil heats, chop spinach and green olives. Combine egg whites, eggs, feta, Greek seasoning and salt in a large bowl; stir well. Add spinach and olives, stirring well.
3. Add egg mixture to pan; cook until edges begin to set, about 2 minutes. Gently lift edge of egg mixture, tilting pan to allow uncooked egg mixture to come in contact with pan. Cook 2 minutes or until egg mixture is almost set.
4. Broil 2 or 3 minutes or until center is set. Transfer frittata to a serving platter immediately; cut into 4 wedges.  

I'm gonna be real and say that I didn't exactly do the broiling part (hence my earlier question), so it turned out more like an omelette than a frittata. But, it was seriously delicious, and very easy, so I thought I'd share.

3. If I'm being entirely honest, I haven't exactly moved into my room yet. What does that mean? It means that all of my summer clothes (+the stuff I don't wear every week) are still in suitcases in my closet. Is that embarassing to admit? Well whoops, just did. I basically needed to invest in drawers/a bigger bed/curtains/etc. and I've been majorly procrastinating. That's so unlike me. ha, lies. Anyway, the procrastination ended this week. I've officially invested in some curtains AND a dresser. That's what I call progress.

4. Since I'm a newbie to the blog world, and don't have my favorites listed on my page, I figured I'd use one of my facts to make a list of the blogs that I read obsessively a normal amount. So here they are:





These bloggers are awesome, and I should probably thank them for brightening my work week.

5. It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas. This week we officially Christmas-ized our house. Sunday night, holiday cookies were decorated. Monday night, a Christmas tree was brought home (her name is Fern, and she is beautiful). And Wednesday night we went all out with a night of decorating, eating, baking and of course, some wine. We decorated our stockings, made our own ornaments, baked some gingerbread men and got Fern all dolled up for the Holiday Season.







6. On the note of Christmas, this year will be Kristi and my forth time doing Secret Santa with our friends. It's always so much fun to plan a night to exchange gifts and celebrate. This year the five of us roommates drew names and plan on exchanging next Wednesday. I'll be sure to get new batteries for my camera (it's dead right now because I fail) so that I can document this and share on the blog. It's been so nice getting to spend so much time together as roommates, the perfect way to get excited for Christmas! Here are some pics of previous Secret Santa exchanges:


Our first Secret Santa exchange!

Year 2: The group grew!
I picked Kristi's name that year
7. So after those last two facts, I bet you wouldn't guess it, but I'm actually Jewish! Well, my mom is. I'm actually Christian, but I love celebrating all of the Jewish Holidays with my mom's side of the family. And on that note, Happy Almost Hanukkah everyone!



Our Christmas/Hanukkah decorations last year!

8. Speaking of the fam, they're coming up next weekend! They'll be up here the week before Christmas which is really great since I don't get that time off. I always love when my family comes to visit; last year I had the best weekend with my mom and sister in a little bed and breakfast.

9. I am really bad at resisting free food, like really bad. 1) I love food, I really do. 2) I love free stuff, who doesn't? So put those two together, and it makes it hard on me to resist. You're probably thinking okay, but how often do you get free food? How could that be that big of a problem? And I'd agree, if I didn't work at my company *which thankfully, I do.* We have donut Fridays, breakfast burrito Fridays, chili cook-offs, international food festivals, ice cream socials, leftover lunches from client visits, and my personal favorite: POTLUCKS. So, I'm trying to get better at resisting free food. It's been almost nine months, and so far? Minimal progress.

10. This week Kristi and I tried a class at the gym. The class was called "Lower Body Blast!" and let me tell you, the name is right on. We did marching and lunges and squats and booty shakes to the point where my booty was shaking, but only because my legs were. And we are both SO sore. Our legs, our butts, her arms, my feet, they are all soo sore. How did her arms and my feet get sore? We're not quite sure. But I think it's safe to say that the class is 100% effective.

And there you have it, 10 Friday Facts. Happy Friday, everyone! Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend!


Linking up with E Tells Tales

2 comments:

Kimberly said...

Hey I just found you through E's blog and just wanted to say: Girl you are FUNNY. Seriously. Its a rare gift I think. Anyway, have a good weekend!!

Kit said...

Welcome to the blog world!!! That recipe sounds great!